Monday 17 October 2016

My breastfeeding regrets

My breastfeeding journey started 2 years and 3 months ago, with it's ups and downs I was very determined to breastfeed L exclusively to proof to everyone that it can be done no matter what you just have to be determined and want to do it for your baby. I knew it is right for L, I wanted to try it as didn't see any other option and was determined to stick to it no matter what, no matter how hard it gets.

I have read different books about breastfeeding but didn't really learn much from them, have visited breastfeeding class prior to giving birth and have learned about the benefits, that you need to persevere, how to hold imaginary baby and where to buy nursing bras. These all now seems so irrelevant and not useful at all. 

Breastfeeding is not about free food your baby receives and other benefits that come with breastfeeding, it's not about correct breastfeeding positions advised by midwives (I used to hold L the way it was most comfortable to me which was very different to the advice given), it's not about sticking middle finger to other mums proving that you did it without a single drop of formula it's about your inner balance, it's about what works for you and your baby, about receiving valuable support and real advice, about the bond between you, your baby and your partner, it's about you feeling relaxed and not pressured my your own guilt or the world around you!

My breastfeeding journey was such a whirlwind, now looking back all I wish is that someone, be it one of the breastfeeding peer supporters, my family, people I met told me- "You are pressuring yourself too much, darling! Try mixed feeding L won't change if you do it, but you will for the better!".

I wish people remembered how hard it is to be a new mum, to be stressed because your hungry baby is screaming and can't sleep. It's not about fighting the corner for formula or for the breast milk, I will be always supporting breastfeeding, but if I knew then what I know now I would have made different choices which would have made my life as a mum, as a woman and as a wife less stressful and pressured. 

1 comment:

  1. Very honest piece like the fact that whilst you are supportive of breast feeding it is not condeming bottle feeding x

    ReplyDelete