Friday 27 June 2014

What kind of mum will I be?

Many moons ago my work colleagues and I had a discussion about parenting and what kind of mums we would be. Some said that I would be strict, others suggested that I would be loving and caring.

But what do I think?! From what I can remember as a child my mum was loving and strict at the same time. I wasn't allowed to cross the road alone, I wasn't allowed to leave the playground which was in front of our house, but at the same time when and if I had problems she was always sorting them out for me, was there for me when I was poorly, I guess as any parent would. But I think there were more “DON'Ts” than “DOs” in our relationship.

I'm 100% sure that I will be strict, overprotective not that I want to, but I was a child myself and by nature I would try to protect my daughter, even though deep down I know she would need to make them in order to learn and do things differently next time.
I know, I know I'm ahead of myself, firstly we will have a small bundle of joy, and I would like to be:

- Caring
- Loving
- Relaxed
- Fun
- Enthusiastic
- Patient
- Calm
- Protective
- Supportive
- Happy
- Positive


What kind of mum/parent you want (ed) to be?

9 comments:

  1. Parenting is hard. I had visions of only feeding the kids healthy homecooked meals, no junk, no sweets, no juice, very little TV...until I had kids! I like to think I'm firm but fair. I dont wrap them in cotton wool and stop them exploring and learning but I have boundaries that they know they can't cross.I think your list is a great list - just be prepared that the calm and patience might get tested often as toddlers!! Looking forward to a baby post from you any day now so good luck! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. The absolute opposite to how I thought I would. I'm a total flip side of my mother which she can be quite scathing about but I'm happy in how I do it which is what matters! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be a mum who never shouts at her kids, was always patient and never grumpy! I don't shout often, sometimes lose my patience and am often grumpy, but I know I'm a good mum! No-one is perfect! Thanks for linking up to the #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so difficult and even once we become parents we won't always see what sort we are! I think I'll be fairly strict, in the way of toddlers knowing boundaries and the meaning of 'Sorry' etc, but this conflicts with my friend who thinks that you should never make an under 5 say sorry. She doesn't have children yet. We'll see what happens when the time comes! I'm sure you'll do great and get a good balance xx #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a daughter who graduated high school this year and will be heading to college in the fall. My son will be a senior in high school. If you would have told me 18 years ago that this would happen I would have looked at you a little funny. I just gave them food, water, sunlight and a lot of love. Love is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to be the best for my son. I am thinking I am not giving him my 100% so I need to work harder. It is very very hard to be a mother alone in a foreign country esp when my son is sick. I wish I am home in the comforts of my mother, aunts and sister. I feel that if I am there I will be a better mother. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am very very protective, but all in a good way, (I hope !) :) its hard to know, what to do for best, so follow your heart on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm but fair parent. I have instilled manners from the outset and regularly try to make sure Grace isn't spoiled. I really would love to be a Mum again. I have no doubt you will be great. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Follow your heart! Every tackles parenting differently. #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete