Friday, 20 November 2015

Carbon Monoxide Awareness week with a giveaway from CORGI HomePlan

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is an annual safety week which aims to raise awareness of gas safety across the UK and is run by the registered charity 'Carbon Monoxide Awareness'.

In April I have shared how I found out that we were close to carbon monoxide poisoning. Since then I'm keen to spread the word to prevent similar situations with you, my lovely readers!

"Research carried out this year by CORGI HomePlan revealed worrying statistics about the safety of gas appliances in British homes. 

                                                        
As we enter Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (November 16-22), it places a focus on the unnecessary risks that some householders are taking with the safety of their families.


CORGI HomePlan surveyed 2,000 people about gas safety and their awareness of carbon monoxide. The results were alarming.

Less than half of boilers in the UK (41 per cent) are serviced annually. A shocking seven per cent of UK boilers have never been serviced.

Regular, annual, servicing of all gas appliances – boilers, cookers, fires and heaters – is the best defence against carbon monoxide leaks.


Carbon monoxide (CO) doesn’t announce its arrival. You cannot see it, smell it, touch it or taste it. It’s indiscriminate and is rightly known as the ‘silent killer’.


CO is produced by the incomplete burning of gas. This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Breathing in even small amounts of the gas results in carbon monoxide poisoning. CORGI HomePlan’s 2015 research revealed that one in 10 adults in the UK believes they have suffered CO poisoning to some extent.


When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your bloodstream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.

Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include paralysis and brain damage.

Education through awareness weeks such as this are also vitally important to improving the nation’s CO safety and reinforcing the message that all gas appliances must be regularly serviced to work safely. CORGI HomePlan is committed to making this happen.

To download a white paper of carbon monoxide safety tips, visit www.corgihomeplan.co.uk


I am very delighted to offer one of my readers the opportunity to win the carbon monoxide detector worth £40, all you have to do is fill out the Rafflecopter form below (the competition starts on 20 November 12am and ends on 4 December 12am):

a Rafflecopter giveaway

25 comments:

  1. November 22nd, which is my Birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 22nd November
    Kelly Ellen Hirst

    ReplyDelete
  3. November 22nd
    Trevor Linvell

    ReplyDelete