Wednesday 28 October 2015

Arts & Crafts: salt dough pumpkin ornaments

I was browsing Pinterest for ages in order to find something quick and easy to do with L in time for Halloween.
I found a blog with a recipe for a DIY pumpkin ornaments which we have tried to do over the last 2 days.
L didn't show much interest in creating a pumpkin shape but was very keen on making a foot dough ornament. On day 1 I have made a salt dough ornament and as L's foot is a little bit bigger than pumpkin cookie cutter I just made the shapes and put them in the oven to cook.  

It is very easy to do if you follow the correct recipe, the one I found originally wasn't correct, you will see why later on.
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- mix and knead the dough, add a little bit of flour if sticky
- create an ornament/shape
- put in the oven for 2-3 hours under 100 degrees. (I left mine for 2 hours under 200 degrees as per blogger's recipe as a result my pumpkin ornaments were burnt).
On day 2 I decided to use the rest of the salt dough and made a hand impression for my mum to take home. Sprayed my burnt pumpkin ornaments with white primer to hide burnt, brown colour and left them to dry. After they were dry I prepared finger and acrylic paints for us to use. L helped me a little bit to spread the paint but soon lost interest and opted to play with a finger paint pot. Once painted I left them to dry until hard. 

Overall, I'm quite happy with pumpkins, can't wait to try more arts crafts with L!

No comments:

Post a Comment