Wednesday 24 September 2014

Colic

I remember the evening when L started to behave weirdly- she was crying, bringing her legs to her tummy. We knew that something is wrong. While my husband was searching online I did what my doctor advised once in case if she has colic- to put a baby facing down on a lap whilst baby is lying in this position to rub her back gently and move her in slow circular movements. 
It did work, eventually she calmed down. But since then all our evenings were pretty much the same, we didn't look forward to it at all as you can imagine.
My husband's online research suggested that she has signs of colic as well. 


"Colic  is a medical term for excessive and frequent crying in a baby who appears to be otherwise healthy and well fed. It usually begins within the first few weeks of life, but often stops by the time the baby is four months old and by six months at the latest. In most cases the intense crying occurs in the late afternoon and the baby may clench their fists and draw their knees up to their tummy or arch their back".

As midwives and health visitors are very skeptical about Internet advice we asked our health visitor to see what she thinks. 
As we already bought gripe water health visitor advised us to use it first. As recommended on a box we were giving L a full teaspoon after every feed few times a day. There were odd days when L seemed more content but I can't say it fixed the problem. 

If you remember from my weekly updates we noticed that L has green stool, which concerned me a lot. I was worried that it could be due to her not feeding properly, or due to me eating rubbish food. 
Just to put my mind at ease I consulted with breastfeeding support worker who confirmed that it could be due to her not getting enough hind milk plus the fact that I don't eat properly doesn't help either.  She recommended how I should position myself whilst feeding L and for how long she should stay on each breast and recommended to change my diet. I did all that and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. 
This time I had to turn to health visitor, to my surprise she said that green poo is cause by colic. I am unsure if her colic and green poo are connected but I'm willing to try almost anything!

Thankfully I came across Nelsons and their fantastic news about launching New Nelsons Colica Colic Granules- the first homeopathic remedy for the relief of colic. I would love to give it a go!

Although colic is considered a harmless condition, a recent study by Nelsons reveals that almost half of parents (49%) think that colic is the most distressing ailment for parents. 

Nelsons gives the below tips to help parents comfort a baby who has colic:
  • Try soothing baby with a gentle rocking by walking round the house while holding them. You could also try taking them out for a ride in the car as the vibration, noise, movement and change of scenery can be soothing.
  • Give your little one a gentle massage on their stomach.
  • Try giving your baby a colic remedy like Nelsons Colica Colic Granules, a homeopathic medicinal product used within the homeopathic tradition for the symptomatic relief of colic.
  • Hold your baby close so that they can hear your heartbeat to help calm them.
  • Your baby spent months bathed in a warm amniotic fluid so try a warm, peaceful bath.


I have written this post to enter an amazing competition to win a hamper full of Nelsons goodies (Rescue Remedy, Spatone, Nelsons Calendula Cream) worth over £50.

No comments:

Post a Comment